YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
Your Personal Health (PHI) is important in allowing us to provide you with better services. Often times that information is used when performing assessments to determine health service and support needs.
Your assessment may include details on:
- Your physical and mental health
- Your personal heatlh history
- Your functioning and needs in many areas like in the community and at at Eden Community Homes
Unless you tell us not to, we share your assessment information with other health service providers who will provide you with support now and in the future.
YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES
Please speak to your usual care provider or our Privacy Officer, if you want to:
- See your own assessment: You can request a copy of your assessment at any time.
- Correct your own assessments: You can ask to have information in your assessment corrected or updated.
- Opt-Out: You may choose not to share your information with other health service providers. Not sharing your information in the electronic system may mean you need to give your information repeatedly to service providers. Sharing the information means you receive the service you need in a more timely manner.
If you would like to know more about how your personal health information is handled and shared with our partner organizations, feel free to ask our Privacy Officer Margaret Lynch.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION
We use a secure electronic system to store your health information and, with your consent, to share it through this system with other health service providers. This allows them to view the information they need on their computer in order to provide you with the services you need.
If you have agreed to share your PHI, the information in your assessment will be used to:
- Provide health support and services based on your needs
- Make sure your providers have the most up-to-date and complete record of your health history and needs
- Help us see where there might be gaps or overlaps so we can provide services where they are most needed
- Make sure everyone is getting the most effective support and services
PRIVACY AND SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The personal information collectd in your assessment belongs to you. The privacy and protection of your personal information is a priority. In the assessment process, we only collect the health information we need in order to determine your service and support needs. This information cannot be used for any other purposes without your permission.
- Your health information is stored in a secure place
- Your health information will only be viewed by authorized people who deliver your services
- All health services providers have signed contracts to keep your information confidential
- When a person views your information, it is recorded in a log. This log is reviewed regularly to make sur there has been no unauthorized access to your information.
- Information is stored and/or disposed of according to the law
- We will investigate any suspected breach or unauthorized access to your personal health information
ISSUES OR CONCERNS
If you have any issues or concerns about how your health information is being handled you have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Telephone: 416-326-333 or 1-800-387-0073